Lessons I learned from My Mother.........

I grew up in a large family. Seven of us, in fact. One of the childhood memories that I remember the most was my mothers' backyard garden. Although I took it for granted as a kid, growing up with that garden was one of the most profound experiences of my life. I was watching a popular talk show one day, and there was a woman on who had written a book about how to get your kids to eat veggies. My mind drifted back to when my Mom would send us out to the backyard to pick cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, or whatever fresh crops that were ready to be picked for our meals. I remember the seed planting, the impatience of waiting for the first sprouts. We kids had a lot of fun playing in the garden, and Mom had her hands full shooing away stray rabbits as well as us out of the garden. I love vegetables and fruits. My whole family does. My sisters' have passed this on to their children. My niece and nephews love their broccoli and other vegetables. I have since told my Mom thank you for this wonderful childhood memory, but I would like to say it one more time: Thanks Mom.

image by Beverly Lloyd-Roberts

Comments

Popular Posts